Brought to you in part by:

Great deals on auto restoration supplies!

.


  Mustangsandmore Forums
  Small Fords and Mercurys
  71 comet gt

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   71 comet gt
SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-06-2003 03:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Charlie,
My 12 year old son and I have recently purchased a 71 comet GT w/ 250 6cyl in it. We are going to swap a 302 into it as soon as money allows. We were wondering other than the mounts what else would need to be changed to make the swap. Also I know the bell housing will have to be changed on the C-4 but what about the rest of the trans. Will it be strong enough for the 302 or will we have add extra clutch plates to it or anything else. We would apreciate your help on this. This will be the first project together we need all the help we can get.

Thank You
Scott and Christopher

IP: Logged

69maverick
Moderator

Posts: 1486
From: Thomaston,CT.
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 03-06-2003 10:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for 69maverick   Click Here to Email 69maverick     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You will need a bigger radiator,The tranny mount for the 8 Cyl. You could use the one you have but you will have to have single tailpipe!! You also need the frame cross member for an 8cyl.car you can find most of this stuff on E-Bay but first check with (TODMEG) I.E. Scott He might still have some extra ones at a good price! The other thing you need to think about is Ignition you can't use what you have so get everything you need when you buy your motor

IP: Logged

SteveLaRiviere
Administrator

Posts: 44935
From: Saco, Maine
Registered: May 99

posted 03-06-2003 10:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SteveLaRiviere   Click Here to Email SteveLaRiviere     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To add more clutches and steels to the clutch drum I believe you will either need a V8 clutch drum or have a machine shop cut a new retaining groove. I don't know if any other parts are different in that C4.

If I'm right, you already have a 8" rear, which is fine for a mild small block.

------------------
'70 Mustang Mach 1 - '72 Mustang Sprint - '94 F-150

Please remember our sponsors,
Mustangs Plus, NPD, Osborn Reproductions, MyFordPerformance.com, and FordRamAir.com

IP: Logged

Rory McNeil
Gearhead

Posts: 1614
From: Surrey, B.C. Canada
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 03-06-2003 11:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rory McNeil   Click Here to Email Rory McNeil     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Although the pre 82 200 6 cyl`s had a different bellhousing, I believe all the 250`s used the same bellhousing as the 302. As Steve noted, a 250 car should have a 8" rear, as well a 5 lug wheels.

------------------
78 Fairmont 428 4 speed [email protected]
80 Fairmont 302 5 speed [email protected]
85 Mustang NHRA Stocker under construction, 302 5 speed
59 Meteor (Canadian Ford) 2 dr sedan 332, auto
74 F350 ramp truck 390 4spd

IP: Logged

SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-07-2003 02:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the reply,we will start looking for the parts.
quote:
Originally posted by 69maverick:
You will need a bigger radiator,The tranny mount for the 8 Cyl. You could use the one you have but you will have to have single tailpipe!! You also need the frame cross member for an 8cyl.car you can find most of this stuff on E-Bay but first check with (TODMEG) I.E. Scott He might still have some extra ones at a good price! The other thing you need to think about is Ignition you can't use what you have so get everything you need when you buy your motor

IP: Logged

SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-07-2003 02:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rory McNeil:
Although the pre 82 200 6 cyl`s had a different bellhousing, I believe all the 250`s used the same bellhousing as the 302. As Steve noted, a 250 car should have a 8" rear, as well a 5 lug wheels.


Thanks for the info, thats great news for us about the bellhousing we are on a pretty tight budget. Yes we do have an 8 inch rear end but it is 4 lug not 5. Do you see this as a problem with the 302?

IP: Logged

69maverick
Moderator

Posts: 1486
From: Thomaston,CT.
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 03-07-2003 12:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 69maverick   Click Here to Email 69maverick     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Does the rear have a plate on the back of the pumpkin like a Chevy or does it have a chuck ? You can change the axles if its a chuck type. A 71 should be a chuck type?

------------------
Jim B. 70 Maverick Grabber clone 302,c4 auto
Weld RODLITES,Holley 600,performer intake,comp cam,MSD ignition,2.5 " pipes Candy apple blue metal flake!

IP: Logged

todmeg
Gearhead

Posts: 425
From: sayreville,nj
Registered: Apr 2001

posted 03-07-2003 01:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for todmeg   Click Here to Email todmeg     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
sorry... fresh out of v/8 sawp parts. keep an eye on e-bay. jump on it soon. seems like as the weather warms up so do the prices of swap parts. i've seen crossmembers go fo 90 plus shipping in the summer and as low as 40 in the winter when nobody is doing much with their mavs as far as fixin it up goes.

------------------
scott
todds' dad(19fordmav72)
another Warsteiner lover. and warsteiner isn't all that expensive!
also.. you can run but you can't hide!

IP: Logged

cpmaverick
Gearhead

Posts: 1666
From: Santa Clarita, CA
Registered: Jan 2000

posted 03-07-2003 11:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cpmaverick   Click Here to Email cpmaverick     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Welcome to M&M!

Everyone's advice is good. The 250 tranny will bolt right up to your 302, you need a 302 flexplate however. The 250 plate will bolt up, but will be the wrong imbalance. If the tranny is in good shape it will hold up to a real mild/stock 302. The 8" rear is the same deal. I doubt you'll have any problems with it with a mild 302, even with the 4 lug axles.

If you are on a budget, don't worry about the radiator or tranny mount. They will both work with a 302. I ran both on my car for a long time. I doubt you'll have overheating problems with a mild 302 on a 250 radiator. I didn't. Also, you can run single exhaust or squeeze a dual under the I6 tranny crossmember if you want to sacrifice ground clearance. All those things are good upgrades and I recommend them, but if you are on a budget don't let them stop you from getting it up and running

------------------
-Charlie Ping
1970 Maverick Grabber
[email protected] with AC and overdrive.
http://www.maverickgrabber.com

[This message has been edited by cpmaverick (edited 03-08-2003).]

IP: Logged

Rory McNeil
Gearhead

Posts: 1614
From: Surrey, B.C. Canada
Registered: Nov 2000

posted 03-08-2003 01:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rory McNeil   Click Here to Email Rory McNeil     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A 4 lug 8" in a Maverick? I always thought that only the 200 had the 4 lugs, as well as the smaller rear end, & the 250 came with the 8" & 5 lugs. I had a 71 250 Maverick, & it was 5 lug. What is the 5th character on your Maverick`s VIN number?

------------------
78 Fairmont 428 4 speed [email protected]
80 Fairmont 302 5 speed [email protected]
85 Mustang NHRA Stocker under construction, 302 5 speed
59 Meteor (Canadian Ford) 2 dr sedan 332, auto
74 F350 ramp truck 390 4spd

IP: Logged

SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-08-2003 03:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rory McNeil:
A 4 lug 8" in a Maverick? I always thought that only the 200 had the 4 lugs, as well as the smaller rear end, & the 250 came with the 8" & 5 lugs. I had a 71 250 Maverick, & it was 5 lug. What is the 5th character on your Maverick`s VIN number?


The 5th character is L, I believe this we looked this up correctly when we got the car. Please let us know if this is incorrect. Thanks for the reply.

IP: Logged

SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-08-2003 03:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 69maverick:
Does the rear have a plate on the back of the pumpkin like a Chevy or does it have a chuck ? You can change the axles if its a chuck type. A 71 should be a chuck type?


The rear end does nor have a plate, it looks like the chuck type. Thanks for the reply we appreciate it.

IP: Logged

SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-08-2003 03:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by todmeg:
sorry... fresh out of v/8 sawp parts. keep an eye on e-bay. jump on it soon. seems like as the weather warms up so do the prices of swap parts. i've seen crossmembers go fo 90 plus shipping in the summer and as low as 40 in the winter when nobody is doing much with their mavs as far as fixin it up goes.


Thanks for the reply we will keep our eyes open.

IP: Logged

SCOTTY IFC
Journeyman

Posts: 9
From: TRACY,CA.
Registered: Feb 2003

posted 03-08-2003 03:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SCOTTY IFC   Click Here to Email SCOTTY IFC     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpmaverick:
Welcome to M&M!

Everyone's advice is good. The 250 tranny will bolt right up to your 302, you need a 302 flexplate however. The 250 plate will bolt up, but will be the wrong imbalance. If the tranny is in good shape it will hold up to a real mild/stock 302. The 8" rear is the same deal. I doubt you'll have any problems with it with a mild 302, even with the 4 lug axles.

If you are on a budget, don't worry about the radiator or tranny mount. They will both work with a 302. I ran both on my car for a long time. I doubt you'll have overheating problems with a mild 302 on a 250 radiator. I didn't. Also, you can run single exhaust or squeeze a dual under the I6 tranny crossmember if you want to sacrifice ground clearance. All those things are good upgrades and I recommend them, but if you are on a budget don't let them stop you from getting it up and running


Thanks for the reply Charlie, this is all great information,we thought we would have to come up with a bunch of money to get this project going but it sounds like we will not need as much as first thought. I hope to pick up a used motor from a 68 cougar from a local guy soon, hopefully we will have it running by summer time. Thanks again for your help. Take care.

Scott and Christopher

IP: Logged

SteveLaRiviere
Administrator

Posts: 44935
From: Saco, Maine
Registered: May 99

posted 03-08-2003 03:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SteveLaRiviere   Click Here to Email SteveLaRiviere     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpmaverick:
If you are on a budget, don't worry about the radiator or tranny mount. They will both work with a 302. I ran both on my car for a long time. I doubt you'll have overheating problems with a mild 302 on a 250 radiator. I didn't.

If the Maverick is like the Mustang, the 302 and the 250 even got the same radiator. I don't know if that's the same for the top tank radiators as opposed to the crossflow radiators.

------------------
'70 Mustang Mach 1 - '72 Mustang Sprint - '94 F-150

Please remember our sponsors,
Mustangs Plus, NPD, Osborn Reproductions, MyFordPerformance.com, and FordRamAir.com

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Mustangsandmore Front Page

Copyright 2005, Steve LaRiviere. All Rights Reserved.


Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47d

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

[Build a free Mustangsandmore.ws Home Page!]

[Posting Pictures]

[About M&M][Acronyms][Calendar][Chat][Classifieds] [Members' Pics]

[M&M Conventions] [M&M Mug Shots]

[ Mustangsandmore.com Bookstore] [ Smokin' Fords] [Tech Articles]