Brought to you in part by:


JC Whitney clearance center!
  Mustangsandmore Forums
  '74 to '78 -- The Mustang II
  Exhaust & Ram Air

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Exhaust & Ram Air

Posts: 4
From: Houston, TX
Registered: Apr 2004

posted 08-27-2004 06:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jessica   Click Here to Email Jessica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm looking to put a new exhaust system on my 78 Cobra II. Is this the type of thing that I'll have to buy specific parts from another mustang or can it be done with regular market parts? The car is also missing a catalytic converter that I want to add along with a new muffler. Any tips would be great when looking at what to get as I will be paying to have it done. I wanting to put a flow master on it to give it a better growl.
My car also has a hood scope but is not functional. How do I go about installing functional ram air? Can I use the existing hood scope/hood and just fabricate the hood scope on it do I need to get another one? Do they make airboxes that will fit a 78 or will I have to fabricate that as well? I probably won't be doing this for a few months as I need to get rid of a magical new oil leak and get new tires but I have to find a good muffler shop first before starting the exhaust anyway. My car is now setting off the occasional car alarm in parking garages but it's a better noise than some of the Civics etc. driving around town and I didn't pay extra money to make the exhaust sound loud and obnoxious. I got that for free.

IP: Logged


Posts: 43790
From: Saco, Maine
Registered: May 99

posted 09-03-2004 08:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SteveLaRiviere   Click Here to Email SteveLaRiviere     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You can replace your exhaust with off the shelf parts.

There are many ways to get cold air ducted to your carb. I'm not aware of any kits for the Mustang II.

'70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V/FMX/3.25 Open
'70 Mustang Convertible 250 I6/3 speed/2.79 Open
'72 Mustang Sprint Hardtop 351C 4V/FMX/4.30 Trac Loc
'94 F-150 XL 5.8L/E4OD/3.55 Limited Slip

IP: Logged


Posts: 3510
From: Arnold, MD, USA
Registered: Jun 99

posted 09-04-2004 02:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for IIGood   Click Here to Email IIGood     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What Steve said, pretty much.

You can go to any parts store, or order the muffler from any catalog place. Just gotta know what size inlet you need. I believe it's 2 1/4", but double-check that. I got the DynoMax for my '77 from Trak Auto actually.

As for a ram-air set'll probably have to fab up something. Here's also a link to "Project 77"...a '77 Ghia that had a custom ram-air system installed, using an air cleaner assembly from an old LTD:

If need be, I could get you in touch with the car's owner when the transformation was made. He may be able to tell you more about what he did.

Frank S.----MCA Member 40390
'03 Mustang GT coupe
'99 Mustang coupe
'77 Ghia--"II Good"

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Mustangsandmore Front Page

Copyright 2005, Steve LaRiviere. All Rights Reserved.

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47d

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

[Acronyms][Calendar][Chat][Classifieds] [Members' Pics]

[ Bookstore] [ Smokin' Fords] [Tech Articles]