The current set-up in my 347 was set up for street/strip usage in a 1990 Mustang Vert.
Now that the motor will be used strictly for drag racing, I'm wondering if I should change out a few things.
The engine is on the stand now and will soon be dropped in the '70 Maverick.
1) Cam =.224/.232 @.05, .510/.534 w/1.6 on 110 > deg. (*see SRP pistons for valve clearance)
2) Injectors = 24lbs (matched flow)
3) Heads = AFR 185, 58cc chamber, Intake Valve=2.02", 1.60" Exhaust, Ported Exhaust (for nitrous)
4) Fuel System: Aeromotive's A1000 Fuel Pump, P/N 11101
5) 4340 Crank
6) 4340 Hbeam Rods
7) SRP Forged Pistons (-5cc dome volume)
8) Stock block is internally balanced, girdled, align honed
9) Cobra upper and lower (ported, gasket matched, etc).
10) Stock Block: Line Honed, Zero decked
11) 1-7/8" Long Tubes with 2-1/2" off-road X-pipe
12) Crankcase evacuation system (early 90's Ford truck smog pump - which I don't recommend)
13) Cold air, Pro-M 77mm(?? brain frat)
The engine (and 175 shot) pushed the Vert to a best of 7.02" @ 101.XX mph in the 1/8th with a 1.5X 60' using the more restrictive (than AFR) Windsor Jr. Heads on 28" ET Drags.
The engine was great for street/strip (idled well, good throttle response, no overheating, etc) but I'm willing to lose a few things to get a few more horses on motor. (I'm limiting the combined enigine and nitrous shot to 600 h.p. - I don't want to approach the limit of the stock block (~700 h.p.?)
The tranny was AOD (std gear ratios) with 2800-3200 stall (flashed higher) converter.
The 8.8" rear was a 456:1
Weight = ~ 3,000 lbs (max) with driver (vs ??lbs vert)
The 9" rear currently has 4.11:1 posi (locker)
Tranny = C4 w/ 2800-3200 9" converter
Tires = 28" X 10.5"
I'm pretty sure the existing setup would push the much lighter Maverick a little quicker than the Vert.
Delima: Do I stay with what I know works well, or do I make a few changes while the engine is out (cam, injectors, gears, intake, etc?)
Your suggestions/comments are appreciated.
edit: added system info
[This message has been edited by RickBook (edited 04-07-2003).]