Brought to you in part by:

Great deals on auto restoration supplies!

.


JC Whitney clearance center!

  Mustangsandmore Forums
  '64 1/2 to '73 -- The Classic Mustang
  has any one done a T-5 conversion

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   has any one done a T-5 conversion
rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-16-2002 04:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am looking in to doing a T-5 conversion on my 1970 any one done one?
Rene

------------------
1970 Boss 302
1990 Taurus SHO
1985 Mustang GT 351W
1995 Land rover Disco
1980 Triumph Spitfire (auto-X car)

IP: Logged

Pierre
Gearhead

Posts: 541
From: Near Paris, France
Registered: Apr 2002

posted 12-16-2002 05:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pierre   Click Here to Email Pierre     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Did an auto to T5 conversion on my 67. On the drivetrain side of things it is straight forward (If you get the right kit, with original 6 bolt bell housing or using T5 bell housing), you may have to modify your driveshaft length and decide if you want to use hydraulic clutch, stock version or T5 bell housing style. Stock works great for me.

The only real pain was with the dual exaust line & the new crossmember with the T5 that didn't fit together

IP: Logged

BAD67FUN
Journeyman

Posts: 66
From:
Registered: Feb 2002

posted 12-16-2002 10:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for BAD67FUN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey Pierre... you mentioned "if you get the right kit". Is there some place that offers a complete kit? Pedals, crossmember, etc. I have 67 with c4 also and have been discouraged from the conversion because I don't have the time or know how to track down all the little pieces needed.

IP: Logged

ccode67
Gearhead

Posts: 2645
From: douglasville,ga,usa
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 12-16-2002 10:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ccode67   Click Here to Email ccode67     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
T-5 in my 67, all bolt in, works real well. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

------------------
Stuart MCA #48902
M&M #1091
67 stang 5 speed, 351W,
Edelbrock Performer RPM package

Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity.

http://mustangsandmore.50megs.com/ccode67.html

IP: Logged

Pierre
Gearhead

Posts: 541
From: Near Paris, France
Registered: Apr 2002

posted 12-16-2002 10:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pierre   Click Here to Email Pierre     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BAD67FUN:
Hey Pierre... you mentioned "if you get the right kit". Is there some place that offers a complete kit? Pedals, crossmember, etc. I have 67 with c4 also and have been discouraged from the conversion because I don't have the time or know how to track down all the little pieces needed.

Unfortunetely not, different vendor offer a kit that contains: gear box spacer, new cross member, T5 yoke, trans mount, hardware (screw & bolts). As for the rest: clutch pedal (out of junkyard) & linkage, brake pedal (you can re-use your pedal & cut it, I personnaly bought a Power brake conversion pedal), shifter (new or out of junkyard), bell housing, starter, spacer plate.....there are no short cut that I know of. Sorry

In addition: you need to check that:
Clutch bar clears your headers
Threaded hole on the side of your engine to support clutch bar, & on the frame rails for the bracket (clutch bar support on driver side)

It took me a while (especially in France) but it wasn't bad

IP: Logged

GT350Clone
Journeyman

Posts: 84
From: Kansas
Registered: Nov 2002

posted 12-16-2002 11:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for GT350Clone     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The most complete kit I've seen is at Modern Driveline . Includes everything but the pedal. They mention having pedals available also, but don't give price/availability.

------------------
My webpage: www.gt350clone.com

[This message has been edited by GT350Clone (edited 12-16-2002).]

IP: Logged

n2oMike
Gearhead

Posts: 2395
From: Spencer, WV
Registered: Jan 2001

posted 12-16-2002 11:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for n2oMike   Click Here to Email n2oMike     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here's an excellent, in-depth write-up on the subject. They used the T5 flywheel/clutch and bellhousing.

http://66.96.130.106/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml

Good Luck!

------------------
Mike Burch
66 mustang real street
302 4-speed 289 heads
10.63 @ 129.3
http://www.geocities.com/carbedstangs/cmml_mburch.html
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?220

IP: Logged

rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-16-2002 01:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thank you all.... I have been looking for a while for some one to tell me what the diffrence is in the shim plate.
Rene

------------------
1970 Boss 302
1990 Taurus SHO
1985 Mustang GT 351W
1995 Land rover Disco
1980 Triumph Spitfire (auto-X car)

IP: Logged

GTRocks
Gearhead

Posts: 3617
From: Lusby, MD
Registered: Jun 99

posted 12-16-2002 04:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GTRocks   Click Here to Email GTRocks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
CJ Pony Parts is another one that seems to do a lot of this. They are in PA, and advertise often in Mustang Monthly magazine if you get that.

I did the conversion, but in a '93. I had a few headaches, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Keep posting here. These guys helped a lot....kind of an aspirin if you will!!

IP: Logged

Jeff
Gearhead

Posts: 306
From: Moore, OK USA
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 12-16-2002 09:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff   Click Here to Email Jeff     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm302 boss:
Thank you all.... I have been looking for a while for some one to tell me what the diffrence is in the shim plate.
Rene

I assume you mean the adapter plate. California Pony Cars makes the most commonly used adapter plate and it attaches to factory Toploader bell housings. It does two things:

a. spaces the T5 back 7/8" so the longer input shaft length is accommodated and so the shifter position is correct in the transmission tunnel cut out.

b. cants the mounting position of the tranny several degrees so bolt positions between adapter plate and transmission are deconflicted.

The typical machine shop cost to install the adapter plate on your Toploader bell housing is about $35 (so its not a big expense). You can also install it yourself with common hand tools. One hole needs to be drilled in the bell housing.

You only need this adapter plate IF you choose to adapt the early Toploader manual transmission bell housing. Your other option is to replace it with a later model bell housing that specifically mates the T5.
Either choice is yours however there are idiosyncratic differences in choosing one over the other. Basically if you choose to use the original clutch and clutch linkage the adapter plate is the best and easiest way to go. If you choose to use the late model clutch and cable clutch linkage then the late model bell housing is the one to use.

Note: the crossmember for the adapter plate choice is different than the crossmember for the late model bell housing choice. Use the crossmember matching your bell housing choice.


IP: Logged

ccode67
Gearhead

Posts: 2645
From: douglasville,ga,usa
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 12-17-2002 08:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ccode67   Click Here to Email ccode67     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
darkhorse performance sells a kit with tranny and all hardware except clutch pedal, check out their web site. Their prices are very competitive.

------------------
Stuart MCA #48902
M&M #1091
67 stang 5 speed, 351W,
Edelbrock Performer RPM package

Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity.

http://mustangsandmore.50megs.com/ccode67.html

IP: Logged

rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-17-2002 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff:
I assume you mean the adapter plate. California Pony Cars makes the most commonly used adapter plate and it attaches to factory Toploader bell housings. It does two things:

a. spaces the T5 back 7/8" so the longer input shaft length is accommodated and so the shifter position is correct in the transmission tunnel cut out.

b. cants the mounting position of the tranny several degrees so bolt positions between adapter plate and transmission are deconflicted.

The typical machine shop cost to install the adapter plate on your Toploader bell housing is about $35 (so its not a big expense). You can also install it yourself with common hand tools. One hole needs to be drilled in the bell housing.

You only need this adapter plate IF you choose to adapt the early Toploader manual transmission bell housing. Your other option is to replace it with a later model bell housing that specifically mates the T5.
Either choice is yours however there are idiosyncratic differences in choosing one over the other. Basically if you choose to use the original clutch and clutch linkage the adapter plate is the best and easiest way to go. If you choose to use the late model clutch and cable clutch linkage then the late model bell housing is the one to use.

Note: the crossmember for the adapter plate choice is different than the crossmember for the late model bell housing choice. Use the crossmember matching your bell housing choice.


Thanks, do you have any contact info on this place that sells the 7/8's adaptor?
Rene

------------------
1970 Boss 302
1990 Taurus SHO
1985 Mustang GT 351W
1995 Land rover Disco
1980 Triumph Spitfire (auto-X car)

IP: Logged

rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-17-2002 02:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have a T-5Z that i have just rebuilt and would like to use my Cobra bell housing and go hyd with the clutch. I realy do not care for the cable assm as much. and realy don't want to hunt down another bell housing.( i like my Cobra one). I have not found a place that will sell me the adaptor by its self.
Rene

------------------
1970 Boss 302
1990 Taurus SHO
1985 Mustang GT 351W
1995 Land rover Disco
1980 Triumph Spitfire (auto-X car)

IP: Logged

ccode67
Gearhead

Posts: 2645
From: douglasville,ga,usa
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 12-18-2002 08:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ccode67   Click Here to Email ccode67     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm302 boss:
I have a T-5Z that i have just rebuilt and would like to use my Cobra bell housing and go hyd with the clutch. I realy do not care for the cable assm as much. and realy don't want to hunt down another bell housing.( i like my Cobra one). I have not found a place that will sell me the adaptor by its self.
Rene

Dark Horse Performance

IP: Logged

rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-18-2002 10:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks, You know i stompped at a car show one time by a stone stock 67 C code. Stock down to the last bolt... I'll never forget that.
His car was nice..... after the car show we swapped car's for a test drive.
Rene

------------------
1970 Boss 302
1990 Taurus SHO
1985 Mustang GT 351W
1995 Land rover Disco
1980 Triumph Spitfire (auto-X car)

IP: Logged

rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-18-2002 12:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm302 boss:
Thanks, do you have any contact info on this place that sells the 7/8's adaptor?
Rene


Ouch,$ 129.00 for the adaptor from Dark Horse..

IP: Logged

H8CHEVY
Gearhead

Posts: 280
From: Southern Cali
Registered: Jun 2000

posted 12-18-2002 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for H8CHEVY   Click Here to Email H8CHEVY     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Does Lakewood or anyone else make a blow proof bellhousing thats already spaced accordingly for the T-5???

------------------
"In the wise words I was once told bye Jiggy"

IP: Logged

Jeff
Gearhead

Posts: 306
From: Moore, OK USA
Registered: Mar 2001

posted 12-18-2002 09:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff   Click Here to Email Jeff     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm302 boss:
Thanks, do you have any contact info on this place that sells the 7/8's adaptor?
Rene


National Parts Depot (NPD). This adapter plate is not flat aluminum. It is a casting that is shaped to fit into the back of your bell housing to ensure centerline for the transmission is always maintained in alignment. Yes, its not cheap...but its more than just a special washer.


[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited 12-18-2002).]

IP: Logged

rm302 boss
Gearhead

Posts: 680
From: Austin Texas
Registered: Dec 2002

posted 12-18-2002 10:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rm302 boss   Click Here to Email rm302 boss     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff:
National Parts Depot (NPD). This adapter plate is not flat aluminum. It is a casting that is shaped to fit into the back of your bell housing to ensure centerline for the transmission is always maintained in alignment. Its a casting. Yes, its not cheap...but its more than just a spacer plate.



I guess i should not gripe i just paid $200.00 for two small 30 year old pieces of fiberglass for my int..

Rene

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Mustangsandmore Front Page

Copyright 2005, Steve LaRiviere. All Rights Reserved.


Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47d

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

[Build a free Mustangsandmore.ws Home Page!]

[Posting Pictures]

[About M&M][Acronyms][Calendar][Chat][Classifieds] [Members' Pics]

[M&M Conventions] [M&M Mug Shots]

[ Mustangsandmore.com Bookstore] [ Smokin' Fords] [Tech Articles]