Brought to you in part by:


Tools and Supplies at Eastwood

  Mustangsandmore Forums
  '64 1/2 to '73 -- The Classic Mustang
  what type of paint--rear spoiler

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   what type of paint--rear spoiler

Posts: 1237
From: Oregon, USA
Registered: Oct 2000

posted 03-14-2002 10:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 71RESTO   Click Here to Email 71RESTO     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I need some suggestions on what paint to use. I have a '73 Mach 1 that a previous owner clear coated everything on, including chrome, windows and spoiler. I managed to clean up the stainless, chrome and windows however the rear spoiler is still glossy looking, and quite frankly looks like c**p. So does anyone know if there is a paint I can use in a rattle can that will get it back close to the right tint of black that it should be? I think I remember reading in "mustang Monthly" about a Krylon black, but thought the satin might still be too glossy!! Any thoughts or suggestions??

71 Fastback (his) under resto (351C-4V C6 auto)
73 Mach 1 (hers) (351CJ 4 speed)
66 289/2V coupe (daughter Ashley's)
89 LX 2.3 convertible (daughter Amanda's)
M & M Member #730

IP: Logged


Posts: 225
From: Ardmore, Ok. USA
Registered: Jul 99

posted 03-14-2002 10:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PONYMAN   Click Here to Email PONYMAN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, mine is glossy and I like it that way, don't have to worry about getting wax on that semi-gloss paint. I also have my hood stripe and lower body stripe gloss as well. Duplicolor makes a paint that I like. It is an engine paint and is called low gloss black. I have used it all over under the hood and it looks really good. Better than satin I think. I usually get it at Wally world, or O'Reilly's. The part number is DE1634.

72 Mach 1 351C

IP: Logged


Posts: 5456
From: So. Fl.
Registered: Aug 2000

posted 03-15-2002 07:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mellowyellow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The Krylon semi-flat/semi-gloss....same! is available at Wal-mart, hdwe stores, etc. It is very good for engine bays, parts, etc. Years ago, I detailed a Toyota that I lucked into-it had semi flat window moldings. Used Krylon and it came out "factory" Kept seeing the car for over 3 yrs. and it held up to the Fl. sun. The number for that paint is 1613. I would wet sand it completely with 320 wet or dry paper. Before sanding wash it with a good detergent to get any way off. Prior to that I like to wipe a small area like that with plain ol' rubbing alcohol, then wash, then sand and then paint. NO fish eyes then!For small areas that alky works good, is cheap, and leaves no residue. That particular Krylon is getting the nod from even noted restorers like Bob Perkins. I wouldn't use it on large areas like hood stripes, etc, because it can leave a fan pattern.

One of the reasons I like to use it in engine compt. it can easily be touched up without showing. And it does nold up.

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Mustangsandmore Front Page

Copyright 2003, Steve LaRiviere. All Rights Reserved.

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47d

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

[The M&M Gearhead Gear Store]

[About M&M][Acronym Guide][Calendar of Events][Chat Room][Classified Ads] [Links]

[Members' Photos] [Technical Articles][Ford Parts Number Deciphering

[ Bookstore] [Advertise on] [ T-Shirts]