Brought to you in part by:


Tools & Supplies by Eastwood

  Mustangsandmore Forums
  '64 1/2 to '73 -- The Classic Mustang
  A '68 or 69 289 2BBL Electric Choke Question

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   A '68 or 69 289 2BBL Electric Choke Question
Ralph Rebandt

Posts: 342
From: Farmington Hills, MI
Registered: Feb 2000

posted 01-07-2002 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ralph Rebandt   Click Here to Email Ralph Rebandt     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Fellas, I am always full of questions. Often I scroll down the forum to see if I can answer and respond to other's posts...but you guys are the professionals. Thanks

I took off the old 68 carb from my 68 289 and replaced it with a 289 carb with an electric choke.

1. Where should I wire the electric choke to energize it? I have heard voltage regulator ( which would require a long wire), coil (not the terminal heading to the distributor), fuse panel (someone said to keep that wire out of the fuse panel). Where is your electirc choke wire attached to a "key on" spot? I am concfused and don't want to screw up any more stuff.

2.What size wire should I use?

1968 Convertible on Blocks

"If your going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

IP: Logged


Posts: 23085
From: Saco, Maine USA
Registered: May 99

posted 01-08-2002 03:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SteveLaRiviere   Click Here to Email SteveLaRiviere     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You don't want the voltage regulator or coil.

There should be a keyed wire under the hood, usually intended for an idle stop solenoid. Failing that, you should run a 14-16 gauge wire to your fuse panel. There's probably a male terminal there marked ACC {for accessory} that would be perfect.


'70 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351C 4V/FMX/3.25 open
'72 Mustang Sprint Coupe 351C 4V/FMX/4.30 Trac Lok
'94 F-150 XL 5.8L/E4OD/3.55 Limited Slip
'97 Probe GTS 2.5L DOHC

IP: Logged

richard bohm

Posts: 358
From: tucson,az-luray,va
Registered: May 2001

posted 01-08-2002 05:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for richard bohm   Click Here to Email richard bohm     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
you want a wire 14-16 gauge from a wire that is hot with the key on cold with the key off. DO NOT connect to the coil or the vreg as stated.

IP: Logged

blown 351

Posts: 36
From: Seattle, Wa. 98258
Registered: Dec 2001

posted 01-09-2002 03:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for blown 351   Click Here to Email blown 351     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
At the back of the alternator, there is a post with the letter S next to it. You could run the wire from this post to the choke.
This is the STATOR winding, and will be energized with voltage when the engine is running.

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Mustangsandmore Front Page

Copyright 2002, Steve LaRiviere

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47d

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

[About M&M][Acronym Guide][Calendar of Events][Chat Room][Classified Ads] [Links]

[Members' Photos] [Technical Articles][Ford Parts Number Deciphering

[ Bookstore] [Advertise on] [ T-Shirts]